Saturday, June 26, 2010

Would a slight blemish in the art of a book cover cause you to think the book was of poor quality?

I hired an illustrator for a book of horse stories, but the charcoal drawing of the horse on the cover isn't perfect in the chest and shoulder. It's not bad, but it is noticable. Would that blemish make you think the book was unprofessional?





How does the art in a book influence your purchase decisions?Would a slight blemish in the art of a book cover cause you to think the book was of poor quality?
I probably wouldn't notice it, honestly. Maybe you should show it around to people, and see if they notice it before you point it out?Would a slight blemish in the art of a book cover cause you to think the book was of poor quality?
I'm glad most people on here are saying it wouldn't bother them. I sell books on-line, so I look at all kinds of books. I have seen some that are rather unprofessional, and mistakes on the cover would make me nervous, especially if I was making the purchase as ';new.'; I know it may not make a difference to the story, but if I planned to re-sell it, it would detract from the price I could ask.





Is there any way to do any ';blending';? What about the book title? Surely there's some way. You say it is noticeable. Have you asked others about it, or is it just because you know what to look for? I don't want you to be discouraged. Heck, if it's a small print run and you re-do the cover, they'll end up collectibles!





Go with what you're comfortable with. If you're okay with it, make your move. If not, see what you can do. It's really exciting to hear you're about to publish. Congrats!
I don't pick books to read because of the cover art. And how bad are the flaws? And what type of book?
Well...someone else will say this I am sure but I tend to not judge a book by its cover. If your buyer is a real enthusiast he or she will open the book to see what is inside before they purchase it. However, if the cover bothers you that bad you might want to have someone else do the drawing or maybe have them do it over. If you are paying them to do it I don't see why you would be wrong in asking.
No. I've never had a book's artwork turn me away from it; I did once buy a book because the art was by Thomas Canty, who I love, and the book was horribly unreadable.
No, it wouldn't make me not want to by it. To me the front artwork is just an interpretation of the book mater. If you didn't have any control over the artwork there is nothing you can do but if you write another book I would want the right to see and approve the artwork first.
The cover artwork doesn't usually affect me, it is the titles that jump out at me. I always seem to be drawn to dark, mysterious, and magical books, strange................
No, not really. I think that it is the quality of the story and not the cover. Besides, I like cover pictures that make me sit there and think about it, and a slight blemish might make it more interesting to look at and give me more things to think about.
Unfortunately I do buy a book based on the cover at times.





Generally in a bookstore the cover %26amp; title entice me to pick up the book for the first look. Generally I am looking for what is on the cover more than how well the drawing is (ie: I like horses so a horse on the cover would encourage picking up of a book, a cover of a chicken and the book would not get picked up)





Then I do the ';Read random 80 words test'; Where I open the book somewhere in the middle and read until it becomes boring. If I do not feel like putting the book back down after this test I buy it!





I wonder about the overal quality of the illustration if something like the front of the horse is not perfect. Perhaps purchase some stock photography instead? Or cover up the blemish with the title?
No. Art can be anything. It is suppose to reflect the story, but I have found that it doesn't always.
dont judge a book by its cover!





your book may be excellent regardless of how much money you put into it...and if you are unsatisfied you did pay him after all so why dont you tell him to draw it again as it is unsatisfactory?
Really depends on your audience. A horse breeder or a teenaged girl who is infatuated with horses might say something but the general public isn't likely to moan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan officer